Malaysia and More!

Malaysia and More!
Kuala Lumpur Skyline

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Furniture Shopping in KL-- Bangsar

I have been to a LOT of furniture stores in the last year.  I came to KL with most of the furniture I needed, but we did need dining room furniture and a few accent pieces.  I tried to take pictures along the way.  I have divided the furniture stores into two blog posts-- Bangsar and non-Bangsar.  Of course these are a drop in the bucket, but it will give you a start.  And it is worth mentioning that I am an American woman with traditional/eclectic taste in furniture.  I will try to include the address of the stores.

This is the best map I could find of the Bangsar area of KL.  You can see Kuala Lumpur City Center in the upper right hand side of map.  Bangsar is southwest of KLCC.

I have also had some drapes custom made, along with two upholstered headboards.  And I had a couch reupholstered.  I will write about that, and my favorite fabric stores, in yet another  blog post.  For now, let's shop in Bangsar!

Chantique
56 Jalan Maarof Bukit Bandaraya 59100 Bangsar


I love this store!  It is not very large, but they have a nice assortment of furniture.  Couches, accent chairs, accent tables, accessories, etc.  Not much in the way of dining room furniture, however.  Chantique has fabric swatches where you can order fabric.  I did that and it arrived in two days.  I am pretty sure they can make custom draperies also.  I really wanted the coffee table pictured above, but I ended up buying another one, to be pictured in next blog post.  You can park right in front of the store.


This is what I bought at Chantique-- this small hammered aluminum table, perfect for setting a coffee cup or glass of wine on.


D'Touch Living Concept 
No. 67, Jalan Maarof, Bangsar



I tried to get a good picture of the outside of this store, but this is the best I got.  It is right next to the Mini Cooper showroom on Jalan Maarof.  (For my non-Malaysian friends, jalan means street.)  There is a lot of nice furniture here, but most of it is more mid-century modern and not quite my style.  But on top of the store, there is a lot of patio and outdoor furniture for sale.  


This is what I bought here-- this set of outdoor furniture.  I was able to choose the 'wicker' and cushion colors.  The special order took a couple of months.  Yes, I know my balcony needs some help.  I just wish I could find some Wanda-proof plants.

authenTEAK
No. 116 Jalan Maarof, Bangsar


This is the store on Jalan Maarof, but authenTEAK has other locations in KL, in the Great Eastern Mall and the IPC Mall.  


All the furniture is made of teak from Insonesia, either young teak trees or reclaimed teak.  The store on Jalan Maarof has four levels.  Lots of dining room tables.


A friend of mine is looking for a simple console table, so I took this picture.  I can appreciate the beauty of this furniture.  It is a little too modern and streamlined for my taste, but I felt it was definitely worth a mention!

Felione Gallery
Bangsar Showroom
No. 174 Jalan Maarof, Bangsar
KL Showroom
No. 174-3-4 Jalan Sungai Besi



I love this store.  Definitely some of the most beautiful furniture I have seen in KL.  And about the highest prices I have seen.  I have discriminating taste.  :/  When I Googled the store to get the exact address, Felione describes itself as a gallery of fine American furniture.  They carry Ralph Lauren and Henredon furniture, among other lines.


This piece of furniture is a jewelry chest!!  About 20,000 ringitts, or at the current exchange rate, about $5000.  No, I did not buy it.

Janine
Great Eastern Mall, 303 Jalan Ampang, Ampang
Bangsar Shopping Center, 285 Jalan Maarof, Bangsar


Another beautiful store in KL!  They have two locations, and these pictures were taken at the Bangsar location.  If I had to choose, this furniture store is about the most 'traditional' of all the stores I have seen.  But a fun, bright, updated traditional.


If Felione Gallery had the most beautiful furniture, Janine has the most beautiful fabrics I have ever seen!  But fabrics start at 200 ringitts per meter (or $50/yard) and can go much higher.  If you are looking for fabric bargains, wait till my future blog post!


There is also a large selection of Spode Blue Willow and Portmeirion pottery.


Janine carries bright, colorful wallpaper.



My Janine purchase-- a simple maple console table.  (I bought the candlesticks for Christmas.  I am still looking for the right piece to go on the console.)

British India

British India is actually a clothing store for men and women.  I have seen a British India in every mall I have been to in KL, so I didn't include an address.  This is a picture of the display window in the store in Bangsar Shopping Center.  That particular location has a back room with some very interesting furniture and home accessories.  I am not sure if they all do, however.  We were very interested in a dining room table we saw in the window display earlier.  The price was right, but we knew it would not fit in the service elevator.  By the way, I now store the elevator measurements on my phone.  Something I would suggest if you also live in a high-rise.


Senasia Collection
233 Jalan Maarof, Bukit Bandaraya, Bangsar  KL


This store is on a residential section of Jalan Maarof.  On the same side as Bangsar Shopping Center.  You will have to look closely.  Nothing traditional here!  It has lots of cool things, including accent pieces made from old Indonesian fishing boats.


I love the shape of this wine rack.  I would own one of these if I only had the room. 


I came very close to buying this amazing table to place behind my sofa.  It is made of actual teak tree roots.  How cool!  Unfortunately, I wanted more useable surface area and had to pass this one up.

Ambiance
2nd Floor, Bangsar Shopping Center, 285 Jalan Maarof, Bangsar
2nd Floor,  1 Mont Kiara Mall, No. 1 Jalan Kiara, Mont Kiara
4th mile Jalan Ampang (corner of Jalan Mengkudu), Ampang
Home in Damansara Heights open on Thursdays and Saturdays


Ambiance is owned by an expat, Jim Moore.  His stores are filled with mainly Asian pieces, but with a heavy dose of humor.


The stores carry furniture, art, jewelry, gift items,


and interesting statues.


These larger statues are found in the Damansara Heights location.



I have made several purchases from Ambiance-- a few home accessories and this Chinese wedding cabinet.  This is not a good picture of it, but I did buy if for this spot.  This is the only window in my apartment that looks out on other apartments.

If you are wanting to do a furniture store crawl on Jalan Maarof, let me suggest the route.  Start in the Bangsar Shopping Center, a favorite place of mine.  You can visit Janine, Ambiance, and British India.  You may also want to see Modern Primitive, tucked away on the 3rd Floor.  I didn't get any pictures, but also a great store.  If you are into more modern furniture, visit BoConcept and Gudang Damansara.  After leaving BSC, turn left on Jalan Maarof. You will see Senasia on your left.  Go further down and D'Touch Living Concept is on your left.  It is right before the Mini Cooper showroom.  After that store, make a u-turn on Jalan Maarof.  You will see authenTeak, Chantique, and Felione Gallery, in that order.

But don't worry, if you don't find what you need in Bangsar, my next blog post will include stores scattered around KL.  Happy hunting!


2 comments:

  1. Wondering have you miss out the one of the famous shop Tabularasa furniture shop over there? They have many contemporary furniture at there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shopping places that you have been to seems to be valuable. the furniture displayed are very beautiful. have you also found any spot of reclaimed teak furniture malaysia?

    ReplyDelete